When in doubt, try to look pretty.

Amsterdam is beautiful, quaint, safe, accessible, friendly, interesting, a once in a lifetime opportunity...

look at it!
It is also located in a foreign country, populated by people who speak a different language.

I'm well in to week 2 of working from home, here in Amsterdam, and while no one wants me to admit it, its a bit lonely.
Hey look! Its me alone in Holland!
Sure, Dre and I are getting along famously and having a great time. And Joachim is a fun roomie. But they get to head off to the office each day where they competently execute the same jobs they worked in their home states with a whole gang of fun-loving English speakers.

I get to navigate working from home or from cafes I have to pay to be in (and given my part-time wage, high debt to income ratio, and a weak dollar - I try to work from home as much as I can stand).

candlelit cafes
with interesting ceilings cost $.
I was already new at my job before I left. The inevitable transition period of being new and uncertain in a job is one I avoid at almost all costs. "We stay in hell because we know the names of the streets."

I try not to stay in hell, exactly, but I do - like most other humans, prefer to know the names of the streets. And I've been in a constant state of change since uprooting myself from Sacramento and heading to Oakland 3 years ago. Its amazing what I've accomplished, but it hasn't been easy. Sure I like adventure. But I also like  not knowing the language, the currency, the customs, the faces, the cool cafes and where to get the best deals on organic groceries. And how to open doors...

So now I'm new at my job and in a new city.

Hence my improved appearance.

nails and hair!
Yep. When in doubt, try to look pretty. I might feel insecure about my ability to comprehend what people are saying, but I can communicate self-confidence with a dress. (psst: If you know me from tenure at the anti-dress G.B., please don't tell S.L. :)

Thank goddess for the market. Three new vintage dresses for 10 euros and I'm in good shape.
for people who use something other than kitchen shears to make things
oooh! kitchenware! (you're welcome Jacob Jett!)
screams Hamstertime, doesn't it?
I wanted to buy this whole table!
Historically I've relied on my brains to get me by, but here in Amsterdam I'm leaning on beauty. Its hard to wow people with your mind when you are:

1. Lost
2. New around here
3. A little desperate for friends (I've encountered this awkward state every time I've ever moved. I'm a people person and people persons want people to like them.)

So I bought some dresses and have been doing my hair.

modified this myself, thank you very much.
It hasn't earned me any friends yet, but at least I feel confident on my way to the market.




Comments

  1. awe... you do look pretty! I am a people person also, and I can totally relate to that akward feeling of " why dont I have friends here yet". Soon enough, you two will be having a ton of fun with your new fabulously smart international friends and you will remember this feeling goes away. I LOVE hearing about your life in my favorite city (other than Sactown, of course). Please keep it up and know that your friends over here are thinking of you!! XO MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! It.does feel good to dress up, no matter what SL says. I know we all had to dress down for that job but were out now and free to be any way we want. I wore skirts foe a year as much as possible after leaving. It was so fun! I love skirts, so freeing. What job do you have now? Check out my blog to see mine. It sounds like your having fun! So happy for you.
    Chandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks MJ!!!

    Love watching your family grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chandra!

    Your shop is adorable! Congrats!!!

    I've always respected what SL was/is getting at, but I just feel so much more at ease in a dress. Its a body type thing as much as it is a gender expression thing. Though that is certainly in the mix. :)

    Thanks for reading and staying in touch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel! Come work at my house. Seriously, you're always welcome :) I can make us chia tea and you get to listen to my gloom and doom rants (kidding, i'll be nice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank god I am pretty much over this dark and dour period. But I love listening to your gloom and doom rants (ie; mixing up a little Thanksgiving conversation with food stamp dependence factoids). So we'll have to make some more hang out plans.


      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts