Hair today, gone tomorrow.

Today was a big day. Not only did we cut off Dre's dreads, I also ate from the Febo snack wall.

The Febo snack wall is an Amsterdam institution and I'd been eagerly awaking my turn at the wall since my internet research revealed they offer the veggie friendly Kaassouffle - essentially a cheese pocket (not unlike the Czech dish - Smazeny syr)

check out that snack wall behind me
Dre and I were cruising Leidseplein for a selection of hair brushes (all of the shops are closed in our more traditional/less touristy neighborhood) when I saw the wall! Dre cheerfully coughed up the coins required to redeem my cheesy treat and I pushed $1.50 into the slot, opened the window and pulled out my souffle. It was divine. So much better than I even expected. 

But you are probably more interested in Dre's dreads.

They are no more. We crisscrossed the city in search of the proper tools. And landed at Etos. Which felt a little bit like heaven after shopping in European grocery stores. Variety! Magic!

Then we came home and chopped it to her shoulders, then shorter. Dre had been contemplating this move for months and after a particularly fortuitous Tarot reading this morning she decided today was the day. So I cut and picked and worked out what was left of her dreadlocks until she ended up with an adorable, waxy do.


It took 3 and a half hours, a ton of conditioner, a lot of patience and a few rounds in the shower before we were ready to call it a day, but I thinks she looks awfully handsome.
she is like the skater I always dreamed of...
Tomorrow she'll visit an actual stylist for a little touching up. But I think we did a pretty good job.

It was a rainy weekend in Amsterdam and yesterday we limited ourselves to an outing to a Roller Derby bout and the grocery store. Of course, the grocery store was under a grassy hill next to the water basin of a museum; the Stedelijk.

The Roller Derby outing was purely in the interest of meeting other queers. While we were in Paris and Prague we saw ZERO, NONE, NILCH, NADA in the way of other lesbians (with the exception of the one gay club we visited) so we are eager to meet more like-minded folks. Of course, I have zero interest in sporting events and we were totally zonked from our Friday night shenanigans, but it was fun and there were some queers - so totally worth it.

Friday night was a whole other matter. Friday night goes in the epic files. I met Dre at her office and after checking out the roof and some of Amsterdam's finest (wink, wink) I was set up on a bike. For my first time. The bike was too big.

I quickly lost the pack and circled back, waiting for a rescue team to come retrieve me from our starting point. It happened quickly. I switched to a smaller bike and we made our way over to an uber cute bar.

We drank. I broke a glass. We met some people. It was a hoot. And then we decided to go home. When I say we, I mean me, Dre and her one bike. Here in Holland people ride on another's bike like its the easiest thing in the world. But I knew better. I asked everyone I encountered, "what's the trick, how do you do that?" but everyone acted like 2 or 3 people riding on one bike was the most natural thing in the world and we set out to do it.

oh yeah, so natural.
 It was an immediate disaster.

I hopped on the back and Dre started peddling. And swerving. And we peddled and swerved while I gasped and hollered until we crashed and tipped and both ended up on the ground. 

A well meaning Frenchman had been chasing us all the while and he was determined to show us where we went wrong. Apparently the driver takes off and once they get speed going the rider hops on. Oh easy. Hopping on a moving bicycle. Of course.

I hopped on one more time, while Dre determined that going fast was the best strategy and I could barely contain my laughter/fear/exhilaration till we reached the top of the hill and Dre pooped out. Cycling two people is no easy feat, especially when the rider is freaking out and baring down with all of her weight because passively rolling on the back of two wheels without a helmet while intoxicated is crazy dangerous.
we left our bike somewhere around here...
 So we parked the bike, laughed it off. And took a tram home. Luckily we live at the end of a tram line and its ridiculously easy to get home from the city center (the U.S. has some things to learn when it comes to the frequency of train service). 

And slept in, till it was time to go the aforementioned Roller Derby bout.

Thus far life in Amsterdam is pretty idyllic and sweet.

idyllic and sweet.
 We live across the street from an incredible park and every time I run through it I promise myself that I'll bring a camera and take plenty of pictures for ya'll (and me). 
 
I'm eager to meet some locals - working from cafes has offered a much-needed break from feeling like my whole world is this sixth story apartment. 


Not that this apartment is anything to sneeze at. Its not as dreamy as being on vacation all the time, but holy moly, it is adorable.

Okay that pretty much brings you up to speed. I'll add an addendum to a future post about our visit to the Rosse Buurt another day.

Comments

  1. Do you live there now? Wow. You are one cool kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite an exciting adventure! Dre looks great--significant decision on her part, please tell her congrats. Keep having too much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts